02 Aug The 2021 BUMP Festival Starts Today!
We’re thrilled today to announce the launch of the 2021 BUMP Festival in partnership with TD in Calgary, Canada! The BUMP Festival has grown steadily since our small beginnings in 2017, but this year marks by far the largest and most ambitious year to date with over 50 murals by top local, national, and international visual artists spanning 7 different neighbourhoods transforming Moh’kins’tsis / Calgary into an expansive open-air urban art gallery. Watch for new works this year in Beltline, Downtown, Mission, Bridgeland, Greenview Industrial, Kensington and Inglewood.
From August 2nd – 29th, experience dozens of free events including graffiti jams, BUMP Ups combining live mural artists with DJs, artist talks live-streamed from Contemporary Calgary, outdoor cinema at Central Memorial Park, self-guided mural tours and more! 🎊
One of the 31 Jersey barriers from our Road Works mural initiative. This one is by Billie-Rae Busby.
Week 1: Getting You Primed!
- Self-Guided Tour #1: Take a self-guided tour through 30+ new BUMP Road Works in Beltline, Mission, Downtown, Inglewood and Kensington. These works are painted by local artists on playful container parklets and concrete barriers along some of Calgary’s most popular main streets. Learn more about the artists and explore the mural map >>
Throwing it back to in-person artist talks at Contemporary Calgary during BUMP2019.
- Artist Talks | Wed, Aug 4, 5:30pm – 7:30pm | Tune into the first in our series of artist talks live-streamed from Contemporary Calgary. Watch our Festival page for live stream info >>
Nathan Meguinis is back for another year! He’s pictured here at a BUMP UP as he works on his 2020 mural, “Buffalo Nations Stand And Be Noticed.”
- BUMP UP! feat. Nathan Meguinis | Fri, Aug 6, 5:30pm – 7:30pm | 1117 Macleod Trail SE – One of the favourites from the 2020 BUMP Festival, this Tsuut’ina artist’s works are a contemporary stylization mixing abstraction and realism that reveal stories, historical events, and philosophy. Featuring DJ BLKFT + DJ Iva.
- BUMP UP! feat. Elicser Elliott | Fri, Aug 6, 5:30pm – 7:30pm | Humpy Hollow Park – 102 17 Ave SW – Toronto-based aerosol artist whose creations adorn the cultural landscape here and abroad. As an integral part of downtown Toronto’s street art community for over a decade, he has been recognized for his artistry and praised by both street and fine art collectors all over the world. His work has been featured in a multitude of publications, hung in prestigious galleries like the Art Gallery of Ontario, and for a number of years, he had his own installation in the Royal Ontario Museum. Featuring Anput + Dr. Dance.
A good look at what you can expect from this year’s graffiti jam.
- BUMP Festival Graffiti Jam | Sat, Aug 7, 12pm – 6pm | High Park – 340 10 Ave SW – Watch some of Western Canada’s top graffiti writers create new works on the walls of High Park, Calgary’s 2-acre rooftop public park space. Watch some of Western Canada’s top graffiti writers create new works on the walls of High Park, Calgary’s 2-acre rooftop public park space. DJ C-SIK, catfishthewizard + jayzen will be spinning up a cool breeze on the top decks of the City Centre Parkade . Presented in collaboration with Visual Orgasm.
We’ve got music in the park running every weekend to keep you dancing through all of August. Don’t miss out!
- Music in the Park | Sun, Aug 8 , 2pm – 5pm | Central Memorial Park – Take in the sunshine and the tunes with the BUMP Festival at Central Memorial Park, a National Historic Site. Stop by and pick up your BUMP Festival Program with mural maps and more. Featuring Ms. Clarity + Metafloor. Presented in collaboration with City of Calgary Parks.
Week 1: New murals starting this week
Check the mural map online for the latest mural painting status:
- Nathan Meguinis | 1117 Macleod Trail SE | Beltline in partnership with the Calgary Municipal Land Corporation
- Elicsor Elliott | Humpy Hollow Park – 102 17 Ave SW
Stay In The Loop
Follow us on Instagram, Facebook and Twitter (@YYCBUMP ✨) for the latest mural photos, event updates, and plenty of surprises!
Visit the 2021 BUMP Festival page for all the latest.
See you on the streets. 😎
– the BUMP Festival Team